The Irving Chamber of Commerce was established in May 1932 when the population of the City, now more than 240,000, was less than 800 citizens. The main goal of the Chamber is still to further the economic development of the City. The Chamber works with local government and school districts to enhance the quality of life and business environment of Irving-Las Colinas.
The original membership consisted of 35 Irving businessmen who agreed, according to the Irving Herald, that “the association is to function purely as a businessmen’s body for Irving and is in no way to conflict with the workings of the community’s larger civic groups…”
The Irving Chamber of Commerce received its national accreditation in 1964 and celebrated its golden anniversary in 1982.
Now known as The Greater Irving-Las Colinas Chamber of Commerce, the Chamber is comprised of several divisions which address specific areas of civic and business concerns, including public relations, business development, transportation, education and healthcare.
Sources: Irving Chamber of Commerce Scrapbooks, City of Irving Archives.